Striking Birmingham bin workers protested outside of Birmingham City Council House on Wednesday morning over brutal pay cuts.
The protest took place as council officials begin further talks with Unite under the auspices of the conciliation service Acas.
More than 350 refuse workers began strike action in January over the scrapping of the safety critical Waste Recycling and Collection Officer (WRCO) role, resulting in pay cuts of up to £8,000 for 150 workers.
The workers, who have already voluntarily accepted cuts to pay and terms and conditions to assist the council after it effectively declared bankruptcy, are also concerned further attacks on wages and jobs are incoming.
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “It is appalling that while Birmingham council inflicts huge and unjustified pay cuts on its refuse workers, councillors hand themselves a hefty pay rise. You couldn’t make it up.
“The council’s actions have only strengthened our members’ resolve to stop the brutal attacks on their wages. Birmingham’s bin workers did not create the council’s financial crisis and they should not have to pay for it.”
Last week, Birmingham council voted to increase councillor allowances by 5.7 per cent, more than double the current CPI inflation rate of 2.5 per cent.
Unite lead national officer Onay Kasab said: “Birmingham’s refuse workers won’t be scapegoats for a mess made by politicians. Our members know axing the WRCO role is just the beginning—paving the way for more assaults on pay, conditions, and job security.”
Image: C Kenney
B31 Voices is run by volunteers and is committed to supporting communities across south west Birmingham and surrounding by keeping them informed and engaged. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube. Support us by donating at www.b31.org.uk/donate. Send us local story ideas to hello@b31.org.uk






