There’s a copy and paste message going around facebook about the dangers of road gritting for pets.

The message says that grit contains antifreeze.

Birmingham City Council confirm that their grit does NOT contain antifreeze. It is rock salt, though, so can cause dehydration which can lead to kidney problems and so on if ingested by a pet.

To be safe, clean pets paws when they have been out, make sure they have plenty of fresh water available, and contact a vet immediately if they appear unwell.

If you think a pet is has had contact with a spillage of antifreeze there’s advice here: http://b31.org.uk/2012/09/warning-as-northfield-cats-die-from-antifreeze-poisoning/

Here’s BCC info on what grit is and how it works!
http://birminghamnewsroom.com/2012/02/a-brief-science-of-gritting-and-ploughing/

Comments: