For the third year running, Morrisons in Rubery have partnered with local community organisation B31 Voices to collect Christmas gifts for local children affected by domestic abuse.
Donations of toys and gifts will be distributed to children and teenagers in south west Birmingham through two charities that support women and children who are affected by domestic violence. Last year, hundreds of gifts were donated by the community to the same two charities.
Birmingham and Solihull Women’s Aid (BSWA) support women and children both during and after domestic violence. They will distribute your gifts to children and young people both in our local refuge and those in our communities, who are part of their intensive family support programme.
WE:ARE (Women’s Empowerment and Recovery Educators). Formerly known as The Freedom Project, WE:ARE is based in South West Birmingham and supports women and children during and after domestic violence with empowerment and awareness programmes including:
- The Freedom Programme which helps women to recognise and understand the abuse,
- The Recovery Toolkit Programme to help women rebuild their lives and self esteem
- The You and Me, Mum Programme which helps women understand the impact domestic violence has on their children
Morrisons Community Champion, Jane Williams said: “The projects chosen and the issue of domestic abuse mean such a lot to me and last year we were once again overwhelmed by the generosity of our customers and community.
“The children supported by these two outstanding charities are the innocent victims of domestic abuse and deserve to have a very special Christmas.”
Marty Taylor, on behalf of B31 Voices said: “Both BSWA & WE:ARE are passionate about supporting women and children affected by domestic violence and it is an honour to be able to help them in some small way.
“To donate a gift to these children and young people is to help to show them that they are important and they are not forgotten. We hope this appeal will help bring smiles to many young faces – and their mums’ – this Christmas.”
- What: Any gifts or toys suitable for children up the the age of 18. Gifts must be new, packaged and unwrapped. A few bits for mums would also be most welcome :)
- Where: There is a donation station next to the pharmacy in Morrisons at Rubery
Any organisations wishing to offer support to the appeal in any way can get in touch with organisers by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org