Website woodborooke study centre
bed & breakfast -confreence centre
Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre
Woodbrooke was founded in 1903 as a response to the educational needs of a religious society – Quakers, or the Society of Friends – which believed in the ‘free ministry’ – that is, no paid ministers or other leaders. It was felt essential that the membership should be as well informed as possible: ‘We shall never thrive on ignorance’ (J.J.Gurney). John Wilhelm Rowntree (1868-1905) was a major figure in the inspirational drive which led George Cadbury to offer his home for the purpose of educating Quakers and others in ‘the doctrines held by the members of the Society of Friends (as well as) practical training and experience in Christian work … social and economic questions … the classics and theological and philosophical and other branches of learning … (as well as receiving) the benefit of spiritual and intellectual culture and intercourse.’ (Woodbrooke trust deed).
Many students from all round the world have come to Woodbrooke, and it has welcomed leading thinkers, philanthropists, religious figures and others to extend the understanding and knowledge of those resident here. There have been distinguished Quakers who have come here as fellows, whose names are recorded in the library, and members of staff who have made considerable contributions to the Religious Society of Friends both in Britain and further afield.
In the last hundred years, Woodbrooke has seen a number of changes, both internal and external. In 1999, it laid down its term-based pattern of study in favour of a year-round programme of courses of different lengths, and made its facilities more widely available. At the same time, the Selly Oak Federation, a group of colleges including Woodbrooke in the close vicinity sharing similar aims and founded at around the same time, was dissolved. Two colleges remain independent, but other facilities and teaching responsibilities have been taken over by the University of Birmingham.
Since February 2000, Woodbrooke has offered a range of courses which are advertised in its course brochure, has worked with a variety of Quaker groups on their specific interests and has sought out non Quaker groups and organisations that might also make use of our site and our facilities. There has also been a substantial programme of refurbishment, which continues.
Who are we looking for?
You have experience providing high standards of customer service in the catering, restaurant or hospitality industry. Your interpersonal skills will help to create strong, positive relationships with the chefs, the hospitality team and the rest of the wider Woodbrooke staff. This role requires someone who is confident and capable, and who can multi-task, making good decisions under pressure, whilst working as a member of the Catering team.
Job Title: Catering Assistant Date: January 2020
Accountable to: Head Chef/ Front of House Supervisor
Role summary: To deliver Woodbrooke’s catering offer, responsible for ensuring a high quality customer experience and for the delivery of high standards of service working amongst a team of catering assistants.
- To provide excellent customer service and a welcoming, professional point of contact for a wide range of users
- To understand and undertake the set-up requirements for food and beverage services throughout Woodbrooke primarily in the Dining Room, Garden Lounge and patio.
- To support the delivery of high standards of Health and Food Hygiene, COSSH, HACCP working to company policy and current legislation
- To be able to close down the kitchen after the evening meal when working on your own, as per the closing down checklist, and to ensure that all safety checks have been completed and all equipment is turned off.
- To be able to undertake the re-heat requirements of food of an evening shift when there is no requirement for a chef to be on duty and to ensure that all food handling, preparation and food temperature have been done to the highest standards.
- To ensure that all due diligence of recording temperature of the hot counter and food re-heats are done on a regular basis and in the correct manner
- To maintain strong links with the catering team and to be able to provide cover when any of them are sick or on holiday
- To undertake such other appropriate tasks as may be requested from time to time by the Head Chef or Director
To work with Woodbrooke’s sustainability policy to reduce waste, encourage recycling, save on utilities (electricity, gas and water) and by using environmentally friendly products. To contribute new ideas where possible for improving our green performance
• Basic food hygiene certification
Skills and attributes
- Experience in delivering hands-on customer service in a busy catering and hospitality environment such as a restaurant, hotel or conference centre
- A friendly, tactful, polite and approachable manner toward staff and guests with a proactive approach to work
- A strong team-player willing to lend a hand wherever necessary to ensure excellent customer service delivery to guests
- Ability to work independently without close supervision and to prioritise workload and schedule in a highly organised manner
- An awareness for health and safety in the work place
- Ability to identify and solve problems on own initiative, to cope with change and remain calm when under pressure
- Punctual with good personal appearance
- Ability to work flexible hours, including early mornings, evenings and regular weekends
- Sympathy with Quaker values and ethos
Working time and location
Predominately evenings and weekends 16 hours per week, 5 days out of 7 (currently scheduled between 6.30am and 9pm),No split shifts but with a flexible approach.
Remuneration and benefits
- Starting pay is £9.00 per hour, paid weekly
- Annual leave entitlement 33 days pro rata per annum
- Free staff lunch and refreshments, and family and friends discounts
Applications should be marked as ‘Confidential’ and sent by post or email to:
Front of house supervisor
1046 Bristol Road
Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 6LJ
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications will be Friday 6th march2020 at 12.00pm.
In order to minimise administration costs, please be aware that we will only be contacting short listed candidates
Applying? please mention you saw this vacancy on ‘B31 Voices‘ and do let us know how you get on, we’d love to know :-)
Thank you and good luck :-)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.