Smart Works Birmingham is a UK charity focused on helping out-of-work women on low incomes get back into the workforce.
At Smart Works, we provide interview coaching, high quality interview clothes and styling advice to women in need. We help women to feel confident, look fabulous, succeed at their job interview and move on with their life. We are very proud of the fact that over one in two of the women who come to Smart Works, and who we are able to go on to contact, succeeds at their job interview.
We launched in Birmingham in Summer 2016, and have made a fantastic start, dressing and coaching women for and seeing them go on to interview success. We have supported over 340 women since launching and 56% have gone on to get the job.
We are now looking for Trustees to join our Board and help us guide Smart Works Birmingham through the first exciting few years as a new start-up charity. We want someone who is passionate about Smart Works, what we do and wants to help support women in their local community in a way that is tangible, focused and successful.
You will bring your experience, your contacts, knowledge and your energy to Smart Works Birmingham. The role will be varied and flexible and we are looking for someone with a hands-on attitude with time to spare for this vital role in a start-up charity. It will be hard work and demanding, but it will also be great fun, and a great opportunity to nurture a new charity at the start of its development.
The office is based in Northfield, South Birmingham, we currently hold meetings on the first Monday of the month with quarterly meetings planned for the future. There will also be some work with our umbrella charity, Smart Works, based in London, and the opportunity to contribute and take part in national events, conferences and strategy sessions. Trustees are asked to attend two Smart Works HQ conferences a year in February and September.
Knowledge of Birmingham, the charity sector, corporate sector and / or fundraising experience will be beneficial for this role.
· Under the guidance of the Chair and with the staff; plan, develop and implement a strategic plan for Smart Works Birmingham
· Dedicate time, commitment and appropriate expertise to ensure that the strategic direction of Smart Works Birmingham can become reality
· Make an active contribution to fundraising; support on ideas, planning and implementation, including supporting with funding applications
· Be available to attend events for Smart Works Charity in London twice a year and commit time to understand the structure of Smart Works across the UK
· Promote and develop Smart Works Birmingham in order for it to grow, maintain its relevance and retain its strategic direction
· Support the Chair and fellow trustees to recruit, appoint, evaluate, monitor, advise, support, reward and if necessary or desirable, change the staff of Smart Works Birmingham
· Be assured that the Board is adequately and currently informed – through reports and other methods – of the condition of Smart Works Birmingham and its operations
· Under the guidance of the Treasurer, maintain sound financial management of Smart Works Birmingham resources ensuring expenditure is in line with objects and activities and meet accepted standards and policies; and appoint independent auditors
· Act in the best interests of Smart Works Birmingham at all times
· A commitment to Smart Works Birmingham and its objectives
· Hands on attitude with time to spare for this vital role in a start-up charity
· Strategic vision, good, independent judgment, integrity
· An ability to think creatively, speak their mind, and work as a member of a team
· A commitment to getting women in to employment and an understanding of barriers to women gaining employment
For more information and to apply, please email email@example.com.
For an informal chat about the role, please contact Maxine Shanahan (Smart Works Birmingham Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org / 0121 411 2157.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com