Website Northfield Town Centre BID Ltd
Improving & Promoting Northfield Town Centre
Northfield Town Centre BID Ltd (otherwise known as Northfield BID) works to achieve improvements within its business and trading environment in Northfield Town Centre, South-West Birmingham.
Northfield BID is looking to employ a uniformed High Street Security Officer who will be involved in a wide range of duties within the BID area in order to achieve the company’s four priorities, one of which is “Protecting Northfield”.
The role of the High Street Security Officer is to perform an important role in helping to improve the safety and security of Northfield Town Centre. The officer will be highly visible, which will help reduce the incidence and fear of crime. The officer will be linked with West Midlands Police neighbourhood teams (Weoley and Northfield), Northfield Shopping Centre’s Security Team and their CCTV control room and Northfield’s Radio Link scheme – assisting in combating shoplifting, all forms of business crime as well as addressing issues facing Northfield such as street drinking and anti-social behaviour. There is a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) in place for Northfield Town Centre and Victoria Common.
The officer will work closely with the BID Operations Support Officer to identify issues and problems facing the physical, visual appearance and viability of Northfield Town Centre and work with statutory and non-statutory partners such as Birmingham City Council, Amey etc to report problems as they occur, such as graffiti, fly tipping, fly posting, highways, rogue traders etc. – generally helping to keep Northfield clean, safe and secure for our BID levy payers, their customers and visitors to Northfield Town Centre.
The role will:
- Liaise with BID Levy payers and their customers to ensure the Business Improvement District operates effectively and that any operational issues are resolved quickly.
- Visit BID business members on a daily basis and ensure that each levy payer is aware of the services provided by the Business Improvement District, whilst also providing a high-quality customer support service.
- Provide advice, directions and help to visitors and customers to the BID area with information on the facilities, shops and services within the Business Improvement District
- Work with the West Midlands Police, Birmingham City Council and other partners including BID based businesses to assist with anti-social behaviour, business crime issues and to deter minor crime and shoplifting through increased visibility of enforcement services.
- Work with West Midlands Police and/or PCSO’s and Northfield Shopping Centre Security Team in preparing statements for individuals in breach of the PSPO.
- Patrol all areas of the BID area including Victoria Common and to act as a deterrent for any anti-social behaviour or potential criminal activity and providing a reassuring and friendly presence for visitors and customers to Northfield Town Centre.
- Collect key performance indicator (KPI) data on what issues are affecting business in the town centre.
- Be able to offer basic First Aid (training given for the right candidate) and assist with lost children and offer assistance to vulnerable people.
- Providing a SIA presence at BID funded town centre events to the highest standard.
- Visit a minimum 20 businesses daily to provide “business reassurance”, to discuss business needs, listen to suggestions/comments, advise on security matters and record incidents, complaints or other feedback.
- Expand and increase the effectiveness of the Radio Link scheme.
- We are looking for a dynamic, intelligent, hardworking, self-motivated and disciplined person who can communicate at all levels and in all situations.
Applicants must be practically minded and capable of carrying out a variety of tasks including foot patrol of the BID area, working with police and other partner agencies as well as working in an office environment using MS packages such as Outlook, Word and Excel.
· £8.50 per hour during the probationary period of 6 months of a 12-month fixed term contract. This could increase to £9 per hour based upon the successful completion of the probationary period. There will be an option to extend the contract beyond 12 months to 31st December 2021 (which will be dependent upon a successful BID renewal ballot, which is due to take place in Summer 2021).
· 30 hours per week, over a 5-days (with varying hours, depending upon the town’s business need). This may include some weekends, bank holidays and evenings. The BID operates a Time Off in Lieu System instead of overtime payments.
· 25 days annual leave in addition to the statutory Bank Holidays.
· The successful applicant will be subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service [DBS] check and a full NPPV Level 2 (police vetting).
· A current a SIA Security Guard licence or working towards frontline SIA Door Supervisor license would be an advantage, however it is not essential as training will be provided for the right candidate.
· A current first aid qualification would be an advantage but is not essential
· Uniform and on-the-job training will be provided
For further information about the job, please visit https://www.northfieldbid.com/job-opportunity-high-street-warden for a copy of the person specification.
If you are interested in the post, please submit your CV and a cover letter through to firstname.lastname@example.org by providing evidence of your knowledge and experience to carry out this unique job role, in particular:
· How many years of security or retail loss prevention experience do you have?
· What is the highest level of education you have completed?
· Are you in Birmingham B31?
· Do you have the following licence or certification: SIA Security Guard/Door Supervisor?
· Do you speak English?
· In 1-2 sentences, please describe how your previous experience is relevant to this role? Why are you a good fit for this job?
· What about this role excites you and made you want to apply? Please describe your interest in working with us.
Closing date: 5pm 26 September 2019
Applying? please mention you saw this vacancy on ‘B31 Voices‘ and do let us know how you get on, we’d love to know :-)
Thank you and good luck :-)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.