Website First Steps Children's Nursery (St Edwards) Part of The Co-operative Childcare
Community owned, Community Led, Community Rewarding
We know our people make us who we are. That’s why we fully support every colleague through ongoing training and development. Want to grow a career in childcare? We have a excellent opportunity at our St Edwards Nursery for a Chef to join our fantastic team 🧡 Apply Today!
To be responsible for the preparation and serving of healthy, nutritionally balanced meals and snacks to all children in the nursery setting. Work within the Food Safety, Health and Safety and other Policies and Procedures of the Society in maintaining a safe and hygienic catering environment.
However, occasionally situations may arise that require the post holder to perform other duties or tasks as may be reasonably requested by the Society.
- Preferably have experience in catering for large numbers of people, preferably for children
- Have a minimum of level 2 food hygiene qualification or certified equivalent and have a sound knowledge of food safety, HACCP and COSHH requirements
- Have up to date knowledge of safeguarding issues and be able to identify signs of possible abuse or neglect and respond in a timely and appropriate way
- Read, understand and adhere to all policies and procedures relevant to your role
- Be able to work within company guidelines on menu planning and follow the rotational menu’s as set
- Ensure all kitchen and food hygiene paperwork is completed in accordance with Society policy
- Be responsible for achieving the highest possible outcomes and awards in Environmental Health inspections
- Be flexible in meeting the needs of children’s special dietary requirements and have strict controls in place to ensure safe delivery of these
- Have high standards of safety, security, hygiene and cleanliness, both in food preparation and storage areas and in personal presentation
- Work with nursery colleagues to ensure baby meals are the right consistency and that appropriate weaning foods are available inline with the weaning policy
- Be able to make fresh meals and not rely on pre-prepared, convenience or packet foodstuffs as per the rotational menu guidelines
- Manage the food budget with the Nursery Manager and be aware of portion control ensuring adequate food quantities for each child
- Have good communication skills with colleagues, parents and children
- Be flexible with shifts and working hours to ensure cover over meal times to suit the nursery
- Set up trolleys for the rooms at the appropriate times
- Manage the kitchen keeping it organised, clean and tidy at all times and make sure all dishes and utensils are washed and put away quickly after use and trolleys are set up ready for the next meal. Ensure soap, towels and all other products are kept topped up and the appropriate colour coded items are used. Report stock shortages to the manager
- Clean filters and fans on kitchen appliances using appropriate cleaning methods
- Keep fridges, freezers and dishwashers clean
- Put any deliveries of stock, materials and equipment away
- Make sure tea towels and cloths are used in accordance with best practice and correctly laundered after use. Where disposable cloths are used these should be used once only then disposed of
- To be involved in any overall nursery activities (including out of working hours activities) e.g. training, monthly staff meetings, parent evenings, fundraising events, volunteering etc.
- Be able to attend meetings and courses relevant to the role which may be outside nursery opening hours
- Make refreshments for visitors as required and be able to help with catering for parents’ evenings and other nursery events
- Make sure stocks of items for children’s cooking sessions are kept and offer help to colleagues with ideas for creative cooking with the children
- Ensure the effective and regular removal of waste materials to the designated store and work with the Nursery Manager to ensure regular collection of that waste
- Take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work. Ensure accident, incident and risk assessment records are maintained to an acceptable level and monitor the information therein
- Act as a role model for colleagues and children in personal behaviour, presentation and attitude
- Take part in periodic one to one reviews which are a two way communication process to monitor performance and development
- Work alongside the Manager and staff team to ensure that the Childcare Groups values (DOES) are fulfilled
- To support the delivery of the Nursery Steering Wheel measures and work with the Manager and team to ensure targets are met
- To attend training identified in your performance reviews or one to ones and any other training courses that are necessary for you to fulfil your role. (training may involve travelling to other locations)
In addition, all employees are expected to work within the terms of their contract of employment and adhere to Society policies and procedures.
- Gain commitment through encouraging membership
- Committed to supporting the local community.
- Encourage diversity
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Understands the diverse needs of children.
- Understand the importance and the requirement for high standards of nursery appearance and quality of care
- Customer focused
- Displays interpersonal skills that will deliver outstanding customer service.
- Is committed to health and safety and understands the legislative requirements
- Understands the regulatory framework of food safety in a nursery setting
- Has an awareness of environmental issues & requirements.
- Understands the importance of managing costs and stock control
- Understands the reasons for working towards maximising sales.
- Minimum level 2 food hygiene qualification or certified equivalent within 3 years.
If you apply for this position, please mention where you saw this vacancy, thank you and good luck :-)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com