A fire in a Northfield house led firefighters to discover a large cannabis farm yesterday afternoon (Saturday 12th October).
Firefighters were called to the semi-detached property in Borrowdale Road after a fire started in the external wall insulation. The Northfield fire crew quickly got the fire under control.
The gas inlet pipe to the property ruptured and ignited and gas engineers were called.
Thankfully, no-one was injured and no other properties were damaged.
The property was discovered to have a mature cannabis grow in all three bedrooms plus the living room.
A West Midlands Police spokesman confirmed that attending officers found a hydroponics set-up supplying in excess of 100 plants and it is believed that an electrical fire was sparked by a bypass set up to avoid electricity charges.
Officers remained at the scene this morning (Sunday 13th October).