A Christmas Toy appeal has been launched to support local children and teenagers who have been – or are being – affected by domestic violence.
Morrisons in Rubery have again partnered with B31 Voices for the appeal and donations of gifts can be dropped in at the store.
Toys and gifts will be distributed to children and teenagers in South West Birmingham through two charities that support women and children who affected by domestic violence. Last year, hundreds of gifts were donated by the community to the same two charities.
Birmingham and Solihull Women’s Aid (BSWAid) support women and children both during and after domestic violence. They will distribute your gifts to children and young people both in our local refuge and those in our communities, who are part of their intensive family support programme.”
- The Freedom Programme which helps women to recognise and understand the abuse,
- The Recovery Toolkit Programme to help women rebuild their lives and self esteem
- The You and Me, Mum Programme which helps women understand the impact domestic violence has on their children
Morrisons Community Champion, Jane Williams said: “Our customers, friends and community overwhelmed us last year with their generosity.
“The projects chosen are very close to my heart. Children are the innocent victims of domestic abuse and often when going to a place of safety the only possessions they have are the clothes they are stood in. We want to make these children’s Christmas special.”
Marty Taylor, on behalf of B31 Voices said: “These two projects are doing vital work to not only support women who are or have been subjected to domestic violence, but also to support their children and enable the women to better understand and support their children themselves.
“To donate a gift to these children and young people is to help to show them that they are important and they are not forgotten. We hope this appeal will help bring smiles to many young faces – and their mum’s – this Christmas.”
- What: Any gifts or toys suitable for children up the the age of 18. Gifts must be new, packaged and unwrapped. A few bits for moms would be welcome :)
- Where: There is a donation station in Morrisons at Rubery