West Midlands Police have issued home safety advice after an elderly couple were burgled while they were in bed.
The burglary happened at around 2.20am on Tuesday (31st July) at a home in Wychall Road, Northfield.
A reader, who knows the couple, said that the lady awake to find a man in her bedroom. When she shouted, the man quickly left, stealing a quantity of cash.
Police believe that the man entered the property through an open window.
A police spokesman said that CCTV is being examined and asked anyone with information to call 101 quoting crime reference number 20BW/173074L/18.
Here are a few tips from West Midlands Police to keep in mind to help keep your home safe:
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you’re just out in the garden.
- Hide all keys out of sight and away from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through the letterbox)
- Install a visual burglar alarm
- Install good outside lighting and improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges
- Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied
- Make sure the fences around your garden are in good condition and lock side gates to prevent access to the rear of the property
- Keep ladders and tools stored away; don’t leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home