Merlin Attractions are seeking planning permission to bring wooden style pods to Alton Towers Resort.
The family favourite theme park have submitted plans to have 102 wooden camping pods that will be able to accommodate up to 4 adults, the new facility will be situated near the Enchanted Village area at the park.
The proposals also include two changing facilities buildings which will provide WCs, changing and shower areas as well as dedicated accessible wet room areas.
Access & Inclusive Design
The company recognise the importance for the resort to cater for those people with differing disabilities and requirements – and as a result the Design Team have adopted a proactive approach to accessibility and inclusivity rather than simply the needs of a select few.
Consideration has been given (and is not limited) to the needs of:
• People with a mobility impairment including wheelchair users and ambulant disabled people
• Hearing Impaired people
• People with a visual impairment
• People who may have a hidden disability
• Anyone who has a temporary disability
• People who are frail due to a medical condition
• People with a learning difficulty/learning disability
• Those experiencing poor mental health
• People who may have more than one disability or impairment
WCs & Other Facilities:
• The changing blocks will provide a part M compliant shower (wet) room and changing area and all new staff areas will be provided with a fully accessible WC.
• All accessible WCs and shower rooms will be fitted with alarm pull cords.
Given that the pods themselves are small, modular and not fully accessible – Alton Towers will have an operational plan in place to ensure that guests wishing to stay on the site are offered a full upgrade to an accessible (Part M compliant) lodge on the adjacent Enchanted
To read the entire submitted plan, please visit here.