Tips if your collection is missed:
Please note: these are just tips to improve your chances – during industrial action there are no easy answers and much uncertainty!
- Report as a missed collection on your scheduled collection day only. You can do this online
- Leave your bins out for collection – Birmingham City Council say they will collect missed bins as soon as possible.
- If your bins have been missed more than once and you have extra waste: make sure you’ve recycled as much as possible and place any remaining extra waste in well secured black bags (double bagging would be an idea!) at the SIDE of your bin. Refuse collectors don’t normally collect extra waste but if it is as a result of exceptional circumstances (e.g.. Christmas, bad weather, missed collection) it should (could?!) be taken (maybe?!). Keep an eye on your extra bags in case of splitting and re-bag as needed! (See right!)
- Consider a trip to the tip: Lifford Lane recycling centre is open from 8am until 8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am until 6pm at weekends through the summer months. Check the webcam to avoid queues!
- Make sure your bins stick to the rules! Refuse collectors can refuse to empty it if it fits any of the tick boxes on their list (see below) – especially during a period of industrial action. So, make sure it’s not too heavy, tightly packed, or containing things it shouldn’t! And make sure the lid is snuggly closed!
- Cross your fingers…!