An application to Birmingham City Council to demolish the remains of the Northfield Manor house – destroyed by fire in 2014 – and replace it with a replica apartment building as part of a new housing development has today been APPROVED by the planning committee. 

Northfield Manor as Halls of Residence in the 90s| Image by Ash Matadeen
Northfield Manor as Halls of Residence in the 90s| Image by Ash Matadeen

The former home of George and Elizabeth Cadbury, Northfield Manor House was built in 1820 (although there was a manor house on the site since the early 1700s).

It was bought by the University of Birmingham in 1952 and converted to be used as halls of residence for the University of Birmingham between 1958 and 2007.

The Grade A locally listed building then stood empty for several years and it was deemed by English Heritage that it did not fulfil the criteria for becoming a fully listed building.

Banner Homes submitted a planning application to Birmingham City Council, seeking to renovate the existing Manor House and convert it into apartments. View Northfield Manor : in pictures

Arson


Video by onenarrowdoor on YouTube

Sadly, however, the building was destroyed by fire in July 2014, following an arson attack. 

The University had engineers try to save parts of the building but, following the fire, it was mostly demolished.

northfieldmanorcgi2The approved plans by Crest Nicholson Homes will see the remains of the building demolished but, with the University of Birmingham keen to keep a link to the site’s heritage, the proposals include a new apartment building to reflect the original house.

The external appearance of the reinstatement will be that of the Manor House as it was.

Inside the ‘new manor’ there will be 26 modern apartments. It will be surrounded by new build apartment buildings with 56 dwellings and 53 two, three, four and five bedroom houses. Developers say that design of the homes will be influenced by the “arts and crafts” style of the original manor.

Read all posts on Northfield Manor

2 COMMENTS

  1. The site was not gifted to the University in the early 1950s – the University paid market value. I have read the legal documents.

Comments: