From Northfield Police:

Officers from the Northfield district neighbourhood team are cracking down on illegal use of mini-motos and off-road bikes which are being used anti-socially and in some cases, putting lives at risk.

The team have seized 10 off-road motor bikes and issued a number of section 59 warning notices to riders in recent months.

Police have the power to seize bikes and cars which are used in a way which causes harassment, alarm or distress even if the motorist has tax and insurance.

A warning is given first but if that fails to be effective and the vehicle is used in an anti-social manner again, it will be seized under section 59 of the Police Reform Act.

Vehicles can also be seized if the rider is not insured, or has no road tax.

Inspector Dean Gordon from the Northfield neighbourhood policing team said: “This type of anti-social behaviour is a real cause of concern for the local community and we would like to reassure you that we continue to take this matter extremely seriously.

“We would like to thank you for the information you have given us to help identify those responsible. We urge anyone who has information and hasn’t yet being in touch to call us on 101 or contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

“We are committed to working with partner agencies and you to tackle this issue.”

What does the law say?

In law, off road motorbikes are regarded as motor vehicles which must be constructed to a specific standard in order to be ridden on a public highway. Most off road motorbikes do not meet this standard. Visit the Department for Transport’s website for more information.

In addition to meeting construction requirements, off road motorbikes also need the following if they are to be used on a public highway:

• DVLA registration (log book)
• Road tax
• A valid MOT
• Fitted with lights
• Fitted with registration plates
• Type approval

The rider must also:

• Be aged 17 or over (or 16 if the vehicle meets the definition of a moped)

• Hold a valid driving licence

• Have valid motor insurance

• Wear suitable safety equipment (e.g. a motorbike helmet)

If the above conditions are not met, it is illegal to ride an off road motorbike on the road.

Anyone with any information on antisocial or illegal use of bikes locally is asked to call their neighbourhood team on 101. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.