Following a recent public consultation, the Local Government Boundary Commission have made amendments to the proposed boundary changes for Birmingham.
A number of concerns submitted to the consultation have been addressed and some slight boundary revisions have been made accordingly. One revision sees Northfield Shopping Centre and part of Victoria Common placed back into a smaller Northfield ward. The draft proposal had placed both in the Bournville & Cotteridge ward. Under the newest proposals, The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, St Laurence Schools and the YMCA would no longer be in Northfield ward.
Ward names saved
As a result of the feedback received, several of the proposed ward names have changed. Some, such as West Heath North, to better reflect the communities included and others to maintain historic ward names, such as Longbridge and Selly Oak.
Reduced number of councillors
Northfield District currently has twelve councillors, with four wards – Northfield, Longbridge, Kings Norton and Weoley – each having three councillors on the city council.
Proposals would see the creation of 9 smaller wards, 8 with a single councillor with a newly boundaried Weoley & Selly Oak ward having two – 10 councillors in total across the district.
The boundary review is taking place after a recommendation by the Kerslake Review into the performance of Birmingham City Council. It is suggested that smaller wards with a single councillor (or in some cases two) representing for four years would provide better consistency and stability in local governance.
The independent Local Government Boundary Commission for England is asking people across Birmingham to comment on the amendments it has made to its draft proposals.
Final recommendations will be made in September 2016 with boundary changed being implemented in 2018.
Have your say
Current wards in Northfield District (each with 3 councillors):
- Kings Norton
- Allens Cross (1) – No changes to original proposals
- Frankley Great Park (1) – Name changed from originally proposed ‘Frankley’ ward, to better reflect the area covered. No change to proposed boundaries.
- Kings Norton North (1) – Name changed to fit with proposed renaming of Hawkesley ward. In newest proposals, boundary changed slightly to include Kings Park West.
- Kings Norton South (1) – After comments received, name of originally proposed ‘Hawkesley’ ward changed to Kings Norton South. No proposed changes to original boundary proposals.
- Longbridge & Rubery Rednal (1) – Name changed from Rubery & Rednal, to include the historic ward name of Longbridge. Slight boundary change to include new Longbridge development at both sides of Devon Way.
- Northfield (1) – Proposed name now ‘Northfield’ rather than originally proposed ‘Northfield West’. The updated boundary proposal includes part of Victoria Common and all of Northfield Shopping Centre.
- Weoley & Selly Oak (2) – Name changed to include historic ward name of Selly Oak. Slight boundary change from original proposal, placing the north-western boundary along Storehouse Lane.
- West Heath North (1) – Name changed from ‘Northfield East’ to better reflect the community and area. No changes to proposed boundaries.
- West Heath South (1) – Originally proposed as ‘West Heath’, name altered to fit with the new proposal for a ‘West Heath North’ ward. In newest proposals, boundary changed slightly to move Kings Park West into Kings Norton South ward.
Have your say
Alternatively, you can write to:
The Review Officer (Birmingham)
14th floor, Millbank Tower
Or Email: email@example.com
The consultation closes on 20th June 2016