A mother has been found guilty of the manslaughter of a Frankley toddler who died from methadone poisoning in 2013.
Fenton Hogan, who was almost 2 years old, died after ingesting the prescription drug at his home in Cotswold Close.
Fenton’s mother, Kelly Emery, 34, has today been sentenced to 6 years in prison after being found guilty of manslaughter by a jury at Nottingham Crown Court.
Fenton died in July 2013 after returning home from a fun weekend with his grandparents. The prosecution accused Emery, who has a history of drug abuse, of giving him methadone to make him sleep while she took crack cocaine.
Sentencing Emery, the judge said that she had been charged with manslaughter rather than murder as she had not given the toddler methadone with the intention of killing him.
“Kelly Emery’s life was influenced by her addiction to drugs. Her daily routine evolved around the consumption of drugs. This was to the detriment of those she had direct care for. She has today, rightly been convicted for her actions.