Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne MP visited a house-building scheme in Kings Norton on Monday (6th October).
The Chancellor, invited by Conservative Party candidate for Northfield Rachel Maclean, tried his hand at bricklaying during the visit to the Kings Rise development, off Walkers Heath Road..
The scheme by Barratt Homes will see 127 new 2, 3 and 4 bedroom homes being built, some of which have been bought with help from the government’s Help to Buy scheme.
Rachel said that Barratt Homes Managing Director Adrian Farr, had praised the initiative, saying it had been successful in helping them to sell the homes to local people, many being first time buyers.
Speaking at the site, Rachel said, “In our area, thousands of people have been able to get on the housing ladder for the first time and secure a better future for themselves and their families. In Kings Rise, 127 new homes will be built, and the knock on effect on the local economy is significant as over 250 jobs have also been created”.
Rachel and Mr Osborne chatted with the apprentices working on the site, who are earning and learning at the same time, and getting an opportunity to learn useful skills which will help them get good jobs in future.
Rachel said: “I’m proud that our party in Government recognises the aspirations of people living in our area to buy their own home and is putting practical steps in place to help them. I know from talking to local people and living here myself how much this is needed here. That’s why it is excellent news that David Cameron pledged even more help for first time buyers with the Starter Homes plan announced last week which would deliver 100,000 new homes over the life of the next Parliament”.