Fire Engine
Image by Ian Britton on Flickr

A Northfield pensioner was led to safety by fire officers after being alerted to a fire in his home by a smoke alarm in  the early hours of this morning (Wednesday).

The man was awoken by the alarm when clothes he had left drying on a heater caught fire at his home in Kingshurst Road, Northfield. He called the fire service and was given advice and reassurance as crews from Northfield and Kings Norton made their way to the address. After being led to safety he was taken to the QE Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

West Midlands Fire Service reported the incident on twitter:

06:23 Fire Persons Reported, Fire Control gave Fire Survival Advice to elderly occupant whilst crews on route. Location of caller given to crews

06:28 Fire Persons Reported: Fire Control reassured the caller that resources were close by as their location could be tracked whilst on route

06:34 Fire Persons Reported: Occupier led to safety by crews. Caller woken by smoke detector. Crews from Northfield and Kings Norton attending

@WestMidsFire on twitter 

West Midlands Fire Service advise all householders to ensure smoke alarms are installed and working and not to dry clothes on electric storage heaters during winter months.

The service will fit smoke alarms for free. Call 0800 389 5525

WMFS also offer a free Home Fire Safety Check service – book online or find contact details here

For more fire safety advice visit the Stay Safe website 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.